Tuesday 28 May 2013

The Great Gatsby FOTD and OOTD (Spoiler Free)


I can't be the only one that dresses up for the cinema, can I?
I also can't be the only one that hoards costume jewellery in the hope someday I'll need extravagant accessories for a 20s-themed party, can I?

So yes, I went to see The Great Gatsby last week. If my cinema was more than a low-key church conversion, I'd have pulled out my flapper sequin dress too, but alas, I felt a Roxy Music dip hem vest and jeans were just about suitable for the snobbery in my area. Believe me, wearing jeans around upper class, middle-aged, champagne-toting women can make you feel like the lowest of the low. I overheard one suggesting that they should 'retire' to purchase another bottle of champers because the movie was due to start in 10 minutes and they couldn't possibly bear to watch the adverts.

£3 on sale - Primark

As for the movie, I won't leave any spoilers, in case you haven't read the book or seen the movie yet, but I'll tell you I adored it. I always cry at movies and this was no exception, I left hiding behind my hair in case my eyeliner was streaming everywhere. Leo was perfection, as always. I've been in the clutches of a DiCaprio addiction lately thanks to rewatching and falling in love with The Aviator. I was excited to see Tobey Maguire play a major part in a movie again, he seems to have been sidelined for a few years, but he's done a great job again. After all, he is my Spider-Man.
I much prefer watching movie adaptations then reading the books after, because it gives my imagination so much more to feed on. I know some people detest adaptations but sometimes my imagination struggles to fill in the gaps that an author leaves, so it takes a little of that spark away from reading. I can't believe I've never read the book, I've been meaning to for years, but now I've made it my mission to read it this summer!


If you're looking to see the movie, I'll warn you of one thing - the volume. The music at the parties was completely irrelevant and out of its time, and also obscenely loud. Perhaps I'm getting old. The sound department obviously enjoyed raising the volume of the racing roadsters too, I had to pick up my shattered eardrums as I left.

But apart from that, I had a fantastic time, and I'm glad I never threw away my 20s costume jewellery!

What do you think of The Great Gatsby, as good as the book?

Join this zombie in another realm: Zombies Wear Band ShirtsFacebookTwitterInstagramTumblrPinterestBloglovinHellocottonShe Said Beauty

9 comments:

  1. You're stunning!!!!!! I'm all for a good excuse for a dress up :) Definitely going to try and see this soon. Thank you for the noise advisory! ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so gorgeous here Ali!!!! Seriously love your eyes.. you have an Amy Lee like appearance (that's a compliment btw I LOVE her) xxxx

    Gemma | MissMakeupMagpie.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look gorgeous! I really need to see this film and finish reading the book! (I've read the first three pages).. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha three pages is a hell of a milestone, you go girl! Thanks very much, I wish I could dress up like this more often! x

      Delete
  4. Dressing up is all part of the fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That it is! It's also part of the humiliation from the local snobs but who cares? Nicht moi! x

      Delete
  5. OMG I love your makeup and jewellery!! I actually was invited to a 20's themed party recently but I had nothing to wear :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my post, I hope you liked it! I read every comment and aim to reply as soon as possible.