Tuesday 6 May 2014

Eurovision... Are you ready?


It's that time of year again. If you're in no way interested in Eurovision, please click away now, click away for your life!


Still here? Well if you were with Zombies this time last year, you'll remember how insane I go when Eurovision season comes around. My Twitter implodes with 'oh dear god what IS this song?!' at least 10 times a minute, I lose my eardrums from laughing too hard... it's a traumatic experience for all involved, but I can't help but love it.
Eurovision isn't just an event, it's a lifestyle for me, I've loved it since I was a child, so in celebration of the hysterical song contest, here are my top Eurovision songs, closing with my all-time favourite...

CEZAR - IT'S MY LIFE
Opera meets D&B meets Rylan... you'd be forgiven for thinking this is one of the strangest combinations we've seen on Eurovision yet. Somehow I became addicted to this song straight away, it's catchy and makes you want to dance, so what more can you ask from Eurovision? Romania reached a well-deserved 5th place with this last year, but will they beat that position this year?

ALEX SWINGS OSCAR SINGS - MISS KISS KISS BANG
Nice move to make sure nobody ever forgets you - plonk Dita Von Teese on stage and you've got an instant hit. 2009 saw Germany pull this infectious swing cracker out of the bag but somehow it didn't get further than 20th place... even though I voted like crazy for this.

DORIANS - LONELY PLANET
Of course I'd love the song that's cowritten by Black Sabbath's Tony Iommi, but actually this is a powerful tune regardless. The singer has an amazing Jared Leto/Hank Azaria thing going on, and on top of that he's got a great range. Eurovision loves songs with a message and Armenia reached a respectable 7th with Lonely Planet. They should have won purely for the double denim.

JEDWARD - LIPSTICK
I make no apologies for mentioning Jedward here. These twins live, breathe and bleed Eurovision, everything about their act suits the contest and it's no wonder they've represented Ireland twice already. Mention Eurovision to me and Lipstick is the first song I remember -- it's no doubt the most addictive Eurovision song I've ever heard, and I'm gutted it didn't take Ireland any further than 8th place in 2011.

LORDI - HARD ROCK HALLELUJAH
Every Eurovision fan remembers where they were when Finnish hard rockers Lordi won the contest in 2006. Lordi paved the way for unconventional, heavier songs in the contest rather than bubblegum pop and it's clear to see that some countries have taken the 'Lordi effect' on board. While the contest isn't overrun by heavier music now, it's a lot less saccharine-infused than before these masked menaces came to power. Hard Rock Hallelujah changed the course of Eurovision and although they may try, nobody will match the epicness of Lordi.


ROBIN STJERNBERG - YOU
An unpopular choice, I hear you cry, but it still beats me why this didn't win last year. Sweden's 2013 entry had it all - gimmicky dancers, a song that's catchy as hell, insanely talented and cute singer, Robin Stjernberg ticked all the Eurovision winner's boxes. Sadly, because Sweden had already won the year before, it's likely the voting tipped against them just to give someone else a chance, but frankly this is my all-time favourite Eurovision song and I'll defend it to the death.

So those are my Eurovision favourites, admittedly they're mostly recent because I can actually remember more recent entries - the true test of a Eurovision song is whether you'll remember it for years to come. What's your favourite Eurovision song?

Facebook Twitter Instagram Tumblr Pinterest YouTube RSS

3 comments:

  1. I remember when Lordi won and it was the greatest thing on earth. Our rock club played it every week for about a year after that (Was it REALLY 8 years ago???)

    I think they did so well because everyone mistook them for a joke act. Little did they know...

    I fucking love Eurovision too. I have a special Eurovision post in the pipeline...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lordi winning was a special moment, I remember it so well. I missed Eurovision last year, very much need to watch it this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You missed out this Ukraine classic - still my favourite song of all time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfjHJneVonE :) x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my post, I hope you liked it! I read every comment and aim to reply as soon as possible.