Friday 19 July 2013

Snazaroo Face Paints - Review and FOTD


I have to admit, until a few weeks ago, I was a complete Snazaroo virgin. I'd used Poundland-variety face paint of a Halloween because the local area was lacking in a fancy dress shop, therefore I had no access to professional face painting products. However, I discovered these beauties in The Range for just over £3 each, and I snapped up the three colours I knew I'd be needing for a rather specific design...



As I was new to the water-based face paint concept, it was a total hit-and-miss process at first. I grabbed a bowl of lukewarm water, took a brush and dipped it into the pad, then slapped it on my face. While I could see from that attempt that the colour was nice, it was way too stiff and difficult to spread across the surface. So I finally worked out the method of wetting a foundation brush, dabbing it into the paint pad, then spreading the colour into a dry bowl, making a paint palette.


Once I'd got the water method down, using the face paints was effortless. They spread onto skin without any streaks or separation providing you use a brush, while you can still use a sponge, the finish isn't quite as even, more comparable to a golf ball.

The pigmentation on the white and black are faultless, they apply opaque with one coat, however the silver was a real let down, it applied as a dull, translucent grey, which definitely wasn't what I hoped for. I expected a brilliant metallic, just as it stated, but hey-ho, two out of three ain't bad.

Fancy seeing them in action? Of course you do...

For the KISS Spaceman I used:
Snazaroo White
Snazaroo Black
MUA Going For Gold palette shade 12 as the silver filler
MUA Glitter Ball palette shade 4 as the blue on the lids to the brow

For Papa Emeritus, I used:
Snazaroo White
Snazaroo Black

I was amazed how light these feel on your skin, they blend so well, you could easily forget you're wearing anything, if not for the strange looks from passers-by.

As for wear time, I managed to get a good two hours out of these looks before they faded significantly around the mouth and the eyelids. Of course, this wear can be prevented with eye primer or using a purpose-built black lipstick, but it was a true test of the paint's lifespan, and I'm impressed they lasted as long as they did. 

If you're going to a party when you need long-lasting paint, these are ideal, providing you take a few little precautions here and there, for example face primer or even setting it with corresponding powder eyeshadows on top. The choice is yours, but these are definitely worth the price, which isn't even that much, you can even find them individually for under £1 on eBay if you're penny-pinching. 

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert, and I don't claim to be, so neither of these looks are anything worthy of posting, I just wanted to show the opacity of the paints. I like splatting paint all over my face, even if it's badly done.

Join this zombie in another realm: Zombies Wear Band ShirtsFacebookTwitterInstagramTumblrPinterestBloglovinHellocottonShe Said Beauty

3 comments:

  1. OMG just wow... the first look is bloody amazing :D I love it! I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to rock it myself but you look fantastic xxx
    Gemma | Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
  2. These actually look great when you've used them. Me and the fam went to a fancy dress party as The Simpsons and bought these in yellow and they were terrible. The colour didn't stay, it eas patchy and crumbled off all over our clothing! In the end we just took it off, which is a shame. Maybe it's because it was yellow the coverage wasn't as good as yours! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking about picking up some of these for a while! You look like you had lots of fun using them ^^ tehe.
    The Snazaroo special effects wax is good too! Can mold yourself some gruesome cuts for halloween! :)

    Char x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my post, I hope you liked it! I read every comment and aim to reply as soon as possible.