Tuesday 22 May 2012

Long time no see...

Sorry I haven't updated in a few days, blogging and exam revision just don't co-operate, they've had a troubled relationship in the past. But I finished my last exam this morning so I'm free!

Anyway, I promise I have a good few reviews in the pipeline and another surprise or two in the form of some YouTube videos! I've never done videos purely because my face in motion is an embarrassing spectacle, but I have one person to thank for this, that which I'll explain in a minute.

Friday night, I had a dramatic cosmetic epiphany which has effectively changed what I wear on my face on a day-to-day basis. A quick overview in bullet points will suffice, right?
  • I don't put on enough foundation/powder, I still look as pale as when I started and my skin tone stays uneven.
  • I don't need as much eyeliner as I used to do – a quick sweep and a small flick will do. I used to do worse than Amy Winehouse and I can't for the life of me think why.
  • I don't need black eyeshadow – it washes me out and I look like a 13 year old girl who just raided Hot Topic.
  • Lighter colours are my friend. Once I get my paws on the Naked palette I'll be back to normal, but for now, Maybelline Color Tattoo in On and On Bronze is fine topped with a bronze eyeshadow.
  • Blending is good. Blending is very good. I don't know how I lived without it.
Now all of this is thanks to one person in my life who I'm eternally grateful to -- without him, I wouldn't even have started this blog, I was too self-conscious to even consider a beauty blog, given I don't even credit myself as a beauty anyway!

My boyfriend has been there for me through everything and he's my guinea pig when it comes to trying out a new look - if he doesn't like it, I don't do it again, if he likes it, I keep it up. It's as simple as that, he's my critic without being offensive. I tried out this dulling-down of my make-up on him and he was supportive and I can't thank him enough for not taking one look at me and pulling a face. Frankly, I should know he wouldn't do that, because we got together when I was lathered in face paint on Halloween, so he's seen me at my best and worst!

Sorry, one of my eyes is always too shy to end up in a photo with the other one.
Maybe I should have taken the photos before I went out for 6 hours today.

Alongside the face, I've dulled down my hair style as well - it doesn't show up much in my photos, but I wave my hair with Babyliss Wave Envy every morning, backcomb that and set it with hairspray. But since I ran out of L'Oreal Elnett and I had to resort to a cheap alternative (Sainsbury's value hairspray - cringe!), I realised that my hair doesn't necessarily need its own postcode. It actually looks quite good just gently waved, no backcombing, no swept fringe across my face.

Although I established this blog for the sole purpose of finding dark make-up that actually lasted the day, and I don't wear it now, I still wear dark colours, eyeliners and so forth so I'll keep an eye out as usual, this blog won't be changing any time soon!

This is all a massive transformation for me and I feel like a brand new person when I look in the mirror now. I feel confident in myself, I can go an hour without checking to make sure my over-the-top make-up hasn't slid down my face Alice Cooper-style (not that I don't love Alice Cooper though!), my hair now moves in the wind rather than cemented with inch-thick hairspray, I don't have make-up up to my eyebrows like something out of Priscilla Queen Of The Desert (once again, I love Priscilla, one of my favourite movies, I'm just glad I don't look like it every day!) -- all in all I'm proud of who I am now, I've finally come back down to earth and I'm the happiest I've ever been with my image!

Have you had any make-up habits that you're glad you've kicked? Anything you wish you could stop but can't find the confidence to?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my post, I hope you liked it! I read every comment and aim to reply as soon as possible.