Saturday 7 July 2012

My music brings all the boys to the yard...

After watching someone on YouTube discussing their personal evolution of music taste, it made me think about my own personal progression through music interests. It's not that I haven't thought about it, it's been on my mind a lot, especially since Download festival, probably the most pivotal and dramatic point in my timeline, so to speak. Although using a word such as 'timeline' implies that it's linear and measurable. That couldn't be further from the truth, nothing about me is linear.


To begin with, I grew up listening to a strange combination of music thanks to my parents. My mum played Glenn Miller while she was pregnant with me, lots of big band 40s swing, because she loves World War 2 and everything that comes with it. As a kid, I distinctly remember listening to her Adam Ant, Thin Lizzy, T.Rex and Shakin' Stevens cassettes, those were influences but the most important is Queen. I still love Queen with all my heart to this day, in fact I'd go so far as to say I have one-sided conversations with Freddie Mercury, I miss him and I love him more than I could love anyone.

My dad, on the other hand, loved Eric Clapton, Enigma, Genesis, the craziest combinations. Phil Collins has been a significant musical inspiration and I still to this day cannot find a drummer that also sings, it's a combination that baffles me and Phil Collins perfects it.
Of course, growing up in the 90s, I danced to Pump Up The Jam in my buggy, my dad had Lighthouse Family cassettes constantly playing in the car, the usual. That's to be expected though, right? After all, I grew up in the best era for music!

This is where I get lost. I know for a fact I got into Ozzy Osbourne, David Bowie, KISS and Alice Cooper at this age, but my parents deny ever liking any of them or playing me their songs. I remember seeing Ozzy's video for Perry Mason on Top Of The Pops once and remaining fascinated to this day, but the others must've just come with the territory. I found myself mesmerised by powerhouse main men that wear makeup and unusual clothes. I still style myself around them all to this day.
The first CD I bought was BUSTED's self-titled album. I had a crush on Matt Jay/Willis like nobody's business.

My parents say the first cassette I was bought was Mr Blobby, and I feel no shame, that was a legitimately timeless single, and nobody can take that away from me.

Before secondary school I remember hearing Taking Back Sunday's 'Cute Without The E', I can't remember how, but I heard it and I fell in love with the sound, the emotion, the power. I could never have predicted how much that song changed my entire life and future music taste.
At the same time, however, I was blessed with the presence of The Darkness. Me and my dad loved their image, their energy, their positivity. I didn't know Growing On Me was about an STD, I didn't know Givin' Up was about drugs, I was too young for that, but it didn't make the music less amazing.

As I progressed into secondary school, my friends severely influenced me and by 2003 I was hooked on My Chemical Romance and The Used, and I still am today.
Alongside Fall Out Boy, 30 Seconds To Mars, Green Day, Panic! At The Disco, Marilyn Manson and HIM, I became a lot darker, and I assumed the role most teenagers do - hate everything, wear black. Problem is, I haven't grown out of it. I was still listening to glam rock like KISS and Bowie, but the more emotional scene overpowered. I discovered Death Cab For Cutie, Senses Fail, From First To Last, Hawthorne Heights and You, Me And Everyone We Know by pure YouTube-driven accident, accidents that altered my music taste for the better. I also got into Keane. Random interjection there. Girls at school mentioned Murderdolls in passing and while I don't remember hearing their stuff, I remember I loved it.


My first gig in 2007 was Taste Of Chaos, featuring The Used, Aiden, The Blackout, Rise Against and Gallows. I was unconscious in the corridor for half of The Used's set, I've been heartbroken about that ever since. In my defence, I was 14, it was my first gig, I was exhausted.

In college, thankfully I evaded a lot of musical changes due to the people around me. An ex boyfriend introduced me more to Dio on the day Ronnie James Dio died, The Lonely Island provided comic relief, and one of my very good friends helped me indulge my love for Marilyn Manson and Jeffree Star, both of which remain today. I discovered You Me At Six and fell silently in love because I was surrounded by indie-ish people that frowned upon them, but who now find them 'suitable' and include them.
My love for The Darkness remains to this day, I saw them on their reunion tour last year, my second gig. Best single gig I've been to, and they introduced me to two of my new favourite bands - Foxy Shazam and Crown Jewel Defense. I've sort of befriended the singer from CJD and I have more of their merch than any other band.
The post-college era of my life is that of fast-paced development. I discovered my love for acoustics, instrumentals and Doctor Who soundtracks. I discovered heavier 'emo' music than Hawthorne Heights in Asking Alexandria, Motionless In White, Bring Me The Horizon and Of Mice And Men. I found Pierce The Veil, Black Veil Brides, Sleeping With Sirens, A Day To Remember, Man Overboard, Hands Like Houses, LostAlone, Memphis May Fire and Yashin. Escape The Fate, blessthefall, Destroy Rebuild Until God Shows and Forever The Sickest Kids became regulars on my playlists. This stage of my life involved a lot of listening to bands but not actually memorising the lyrics, just listening and enjoying, which in a way I kind of love.

Troy's been the one boyfriend to make a massive impact on my music taste. Because of him, I love Machine Head, Slipknot, Korn, Stone Sour, Wednesday 13, Pantera, Mudvayne, Hellyeah, Ghost and Soulfly.
Then came Download festival 2012. I completed my biggest life goal which is to see Ozzy Osbourne live, in the flesh. I prefer his solo material to Black Sabbath but I saw Sabbath and it's still a momentous occasion in my life.
On my return from Download, my musical tolerance has jumped up a stage. I now listen to Slayer, DevilDriver, Lamb Of God, Metallica, Trivium, Anthrax, Billy Talent and Slash.

I still listen to every band I've listened to over the years. From BUSTED to Ozzy to Slayer, I've never fallen out of love with them. Except Mr Blobby. Maybe.

Finally, the end of the post! Sorry that was so pic-heavy and generally text-heavy, and thank you if you're still reading this! I had so much fun reminiscing and writing this, I'm so glad I finally wrote it all down.

How much has your music changed in your lifetime? Do you still listen to the bands you loved growing up?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my post, I hope you liked it! I read every comment and aim to reply as soon as possible.