Friday 15 November 2013

Beauty UK Posh Palette Festival - Review and Swatches


You should know by now that anything with the word 'festival' attracts me like a moth to a flame. Also, anything with bright colours draws me in like a magpie. Enough of the similes, let's get to the review, eh?


Beauty UK's new approach to palettes, on the whole, is great - a much bigger palette, massive pans, no more tiny and useless mirror behind the brush well, a sturdier lid hinge and white plastic packaging. Admittedly, the mirror hasn't really changed in terms of usefulness, it's still small enough to see half of your lid at the best of times, but it's an improvement on the last.

My main quibble? The lack of brush. As I mentioned in my review of the Amazon palette, the brush that came with it was surprisingly brilliant, but Beauty UK have gone down the 'give her a sponge applicator, bitches love sponge applicators' route. No, Beauty UK, just no.

I like the range of matte and shimmer shades in the palette, so there's a choice for everyone no matter what you like. The pigmentation of bright eyeshadows will always be a contentious matter - some people prefer a bright to be less opaque and in-your-face, and some palettes just don't have the right formula to make a matte bright shade transfer as beautifully as it appears in the pan. Sadly, the shimmer shades aren't as pigmented as they look in the pan, and the two pink and purple mattes don't transfer half as well as I expected. 

I bought this palette with the intention of using the orange shade for Halloween looks and I was not disappointed, it's far more pigmented than any other orange I've ever seen in a palette. The matte black is always my first port of call in a palette, and this was a disappointment - the formula is so firm that it takes a few tough swirls to transfer any colour onto a brush, and even then it doesn't blend as well as I hoped. But the fourth shade is the star of the show - a perfect matte blue that reminds me of Stargazer shadows in terms of great blendability and great pigmentation. 

As it's named 'festival', I'd assume it's built to survive the flak of a dirty, muddy, sweaty festival, and it's true, all the colours last when applied over an eyeshadow primer. But whether it's worth the £5.99 price tag is debatable, given only half of the pans actually transfer as well as I'd hoped, but if you're on the market for more pastels than brights, this is for you.

What's your favourite brights palette?

Facebook Twitter Instagram Tumblr Pinterest Flickr Bloglovin RSS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my post, I hope you liked it! I read every comment and aim to reply as soon as possible.